In 1934 small groups of Christians met together in homes to pray about establishing a witness for Christ in Englewood. Thefollowing year, Englewood Baptist Temple constituted with thirty-three members. Church meetings were held in two rented locations until the dedication of the present building on Tenafly Road in 1952. Thirty-five years later, Englewood Baptist Temple became Englewood Baptist Church. This was one of many changes that took place in conjunction with efforts to bring EBC’s ministry into closer conformity to the teaching of the Bible. It was also at this time the church adopted the Second London Baptist Confession of Faith as a statement of the “things most surely believed among us.” This was the statement of faith held to by C. H. Spurgeon, the renowned British minister of the 19th century who is still known and loved today by Christians of various denominations.
Over the years of EBC’s existence, the teaching of the Bible has been central to its life and ministry. EBC has consistently endeavored to exert a gospel influence locally and around the world through the support of domestic and foreign missionaries and church planters, the training of gospel ministers, Bible conferences, Vacation Bible Schools, youth retreats, Bible studies, and community outreaches and mercy ministries in local nursing homes, rehab centers, social services, and other venues.
We don’t take for granted God’s kindness to Englewood Baptist Church from the time of its inception to the present. Our prayer is that He will continue enabling us to realize great usefulness in the work of His kingdom as we maintain fidelity to the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. “To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” (Ephesians 3:21) We cordially invite you to come and worship with us. Who knows? Perhaps, with God’s leading, youmay be a part of the next chapter of our history!